With confetti and fanfare broke MGM officially land on Tuesday, March 25, with the 800 million dollars casino in Western Massachusetts which represents the largesteconomic development project that the region has seen through several generations. Hundreds took part in the ceremony that was held on a cold but sunny day in front ofan old school, which c asinot plan to destroy in order to pave the way for a parking lot .Groundbreaking was to a large extent very symbolic: Casino officials said that there is more to göra innan bygget kan starta på allvar . Men händelsenmarkerar en betydande utveckling i New Englands eskalerande casino race .
MGM is trying to become Massachusetts first casino resort, which more century counterparts in Connecticut and Boston area also trying to open casinos. “We are No. 1 in Vegas , and we will be No. 1 in New England, too , no matter what Connecticut doing , ” explained CEO Jim Murren .
Here’s what you need to know about the project , which officials hope will be opening its doors in 2017 :
The plan for casino
- MGM casino will be developed on a 14.5 hectare site in central and southern end of the neighborhood , an area which is still recovering from the devastating tornado in 2011 .
- The casino will have a total of 3,000 slot machines , 75 gaming tables and a 250-room hotel . It will also contain shops , restaurants , m ötes-and office – premises, including residential apartments .
- The project has been billed as a unique , urban-centered c asino which will restoring or reusing the whole or parts of a number of historicbuildings , including a castle-like armory .
- The casino will also preserve the traditional skyltfönsternas range from the pedestrian street and offer newcentral facilities such as a publicplaza , skating rink , movie theater and a bowling alley .
What are the steps?
- Before construction can begin in earnest , need MGM , the State Historical Commission approval of the plan to demolish some of the historicbuildings on the site .
- MGM Springfield’s Chairman Michael Mathis said the company hopes to to solve the remaining issues with the Commission during the comingweeks .
- During the time , says he there is plenty of work to be carried out on even , ranging from the environmentsoil testing to ceiling and asbestoscleanup .
- “It has really turned into a construction site , ” said Mathis on Tuesday . “We are disappointed that we did not is completely full with the historicalissues . They are really concerned about thepreserving some of the great historical structures in place . They had a list of questions and , first, as has we tackled them all with our design and that we are also a better project for the site . “